Thursday, July 7, 2016

Reflection #4: Learning Tool

Hey guys!!

For this post, I am focusing on this super cool website:

https://www.podomatic.com

Podomatic is a a free service that allows you to listen to podcasts from all around the world on every subject under the sun. Even better though, is that it allows you to create your own podcast, too! I think this is a great place for students and teachers alike to get and produce information on a topic in an engaging way.



Here is how I imagine using this in my own classroom.  I would find a podcast (whether it's on Podomatic, NPR, or somewhere else) and have students listen to it and take notes using a graphic organizer. I would then have students either write a short blog post or collaborate on a RealtimeBoard about what they learned. Then, I would have students write and produce their own podcasts and upload them onto Podomatic! I know there are 100 other directions I could take this in too! Maybe students would opt to do a podcast over a weekly blog post. Or, they might do a podcast on an independent book they selected. I think the direction  you could take this in is endless.



For this reason, I would say this website could potentially be an A, M, or R on the SAMR model. If you just had students listen to a lesson on a podcast that would be an A. If students were to use the podcast to discuss a book they were reading, that would be an M. And, if students were to analyze the symbolism in The Great Gatsby in a podcast rather than an essay, that would be an R. 


Ease of use: * * * ( 3 stars)

I think once your students got the hand out using the equipment and navigating the website, this would be a simple process. Until then, I feel like it could be slightly difficult. I do think younger students would need a lot of direction, possibly an entire class, on how to record and upload their podcast. 




Versatility: * * * * * (5 stars)

The ways you could take using podcasts, especially how students use them, are endless. I know a podcast is just a podcast, and you can't upload a video or visuals... but students can do news shows, discussions, or produce information. I also think you could pair this with a lot of other web 2.0 tools to increase the engagement.

Liklihood of using it in my classroom: * * * * (4 stars)

I would more than likely use this in my classroom as either an alternative to writing a weekly blog post, or during specific units. Last year, my students created a PSA about a community issue. I picture them having the option to produce a podcast rather than making a video if they wanted. I definitely think I'll use this in my class, it just might not be a staple. 

See you on the flippity-flop,

Xtine

9 comments:

  1. I love your idea of using a podcast and graphic organizer together. I think this tool is really cool. I had not played with it much before you post, but your post prompted me to check it out. I could see using this in my science classroom. Especially if I am having students research a topic and present it. It could be a really cool, interactive way to get multiple perspectives on something. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!! I love your idea on how you would have students in a science classroom present their research findings via podcast! Super cool!

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT! Giving your students the option to create a podcast is super cool. I know I would have been into that! Then just having SO many options to listen to is super cool. I can't wait to look more into this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! I think younger students would actually really love to record themselves, and then listen to it along with their peers. Kids love hearing themselves talk haha.

      Delete
    2. I think it would have freaked me out at first as a student, but once I got into it, I think I would have learned a lot. It's actually a pretty cool tool.

      Delete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I find myself on "learning" kicks where I sign up and listen to a ton of random podcasts. I think showing your students that this is a great way to augment their learning. I also love your idea about creating a podcast. What if it was some type of narrative where they had to act out the characters of a story. The ideas are endless here. Thank you so much for sharing this one. I bookmarked in my USE FOR CLASS folder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I hadn't even thought about that.... almost like an old radio show! I think students would find that really entertaining, especially if they had to add in their own sound affects. Thanks for the good thoughts!!

      Delete
    2. I love that you mentioned augmenting their learning, because I think that is a huge use for this. Giving students resources to use to enhance their understanding is crucial, and if they find it entertaining, maybe they will tune into that instead of facebook once in a while.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great tool! I would have never thought of all of the great examples you thought of about how to utilize this. Now that you have started with all the great ideas, I feel like I could use this tool in my class and then keep coming up with other ways to incorporate it. I like this, because it can engage learners from multiple modalities with all of the different ideas you had of how to incorporate it. Thank you for the great insight!

    ReplyDelete