Thursday, June 23, 2016

Reflection #2: SAMR



1. How can the SAMR model assist you in integrating with intention? 

I am so glad that we were introduced to the SAMR model because I really feel like it helped me think about the ways I can enhance my teaching with technology in a nonthreatening or scary way. I can easily integrate technology, easing myself and my students into the world of technology. By thinking through each "level" of the SAMR model, I can develop lessons that are intentional about how I am going about integrating media into my classroom.

I feel like this video was short and sweet, and helped me understand the model even further while giving me a visual as well. I think I could even have my students watch the video so they can see and understand the ways I plan to continually add in our ability to use technology into the classroom. That way, we are learning and growing together.


We have been talking a lot about when we should and should not use technology in the classroom. Although having students create a video on an author they are reading about, rather than writing a biography on them, would be incredibly engaging and fun--I want to be sure my students have their writing skills down first. The SAMR model allows me to think through this process. Maybe my students could write a script first (S) and have me revise/check them off, and then create their video (R). I am beginning to see how much technology can truly engage and enhance my teaching, while keeping it constructive and intentional.

2. Which analogy for the SAMR model do you find most helpful? Explain why. 

The analogy I found most helpful was the one I found on Kathy Shcrock's blog (here). I included it above, too! I am a huge fan of coffee, and it just allowed me to visually understand the ways in which each level builds on one another until you come up with ideas that may have at once been unimaginable to you.



3. Which level of SAMR can you see yourself using most? Explain why.

Although I have a feeling I will be using each level at various points throughout a school year, I would like to get my students (and myself) to a point where working in a redefinition level is happening more often. I plan on teaching at the secondary level, and believe many of my students at this point will feel at ease about using a computer and working with new platforms. They should also feel more confident and comfortable with writing essays. I imagine at the beginning of the year, we will ease ourselves into working with technology so I can see how we do, but I hope by the end of the year we can think about creating essays or projects in ways that may have seemed inconceivable at one point!


I want to aim at using the last level, because I think by the time students are juniors and seniors in high school, they are ready to explore literature in different ways, or try creating a Prezi that analyzes Steinbeck's use of symbolism in The Grapes of Wrath. I want my classes to be engaging and excting to students, so that they are continually asking themselves, "What are we going to do today?" I think that using technology intentionally in my classroom is going to help me achieve this.

Peace out,

Christine


8 comments:

  1. I really liked that you said, "I want to be sure my students have their writing skills down first" before you use video and other technologies. To me it is essential students get their core knoweldge and skills before these skills are enhanced by technology. I also liked how you talked about ways you could use technology in your classroom, such as "students could write a script first (S) and have me revise/check them off, and then create their video (R)". This tells me you have thought about this method a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!! You're always so kind and supportive with your comments. I really cannot emphasize enough the value I find in ensuring students are secure in the essentials before we get crazy with the cool tech stuff. But, I don't think it totally works that way unfortunately. I mean, I definitely experienced that this past year with some of my students.

      Delete
  2. Christine, I love how you aim for redefinition to give opportunities to juniors and seniors of learning literature in different ways. By providing more tools to use will come in handy for those going to college. I used a lot of new technology in college that would have been really helpful starting in high school. Even using having something like Popplet and allowing groups or the class to brainstorm the significance of the use of color in The Great Gatsby (just throwing a random example out there) would be so engaging. Thank you for the Princess Bride reference!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!! I feel like maybe the reason I feel the way I do about technology stems from not using it very often in high school. And thanks for your good idea on using popplet and TGG in conjunction ;)

      Delete
  3. I feel ya with trying to give juniors and seniors the opportunity to redefine what they are doing. Do you think that this came earlier though? I wonder if the entire way we teach will change for every grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think and hope so! My guess is that if all teachers became more comfortable with implementing technology into the classroom, then by the time they hit me--I should have students who are pretty tech savvy.

      Delete
  4. I like your plan to start small and work bigger. There are a ton of ways to integrate technology into the classroom, and I think looking at it from that perspective is a lot less overwhelming.

    I too love coffee, and I love that analogy! There is always a time and a place for implementing technology in the classroom. It can be hard to think outside of the box, but once we do, the results can be great! It's important to keep ourselves fresh and to remember that anything can be changed to make it more technology based. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think that is why I appreciate the SAMR model so much... it allows me to consider when it is appropriate to include technology into my lessons!

      Delete